Thursday, October 1, 2009

Feeling Grateful For The Blessings In Your Life

Today is one of those days that I have been feeling amazingly grateful to God and the Universe for all my blessings. And it’s not because things are going just “perfectly well” in my life (as usually people call it). In fact, life has been quite tough lately. But amazingly, I feel grateful and I feel that things are fine. I guess this feeling in itself is a blessing.

We all have so often read about how being spiritual requires one to feel grateful for what we have rather than be resentful of what we don’t have. It’s easier said than done. I know. It’s easy to feel grateful when life is all peachy. But when life is tough, gratefulness is one thing which is so far away from your mind. So, is it OK to feel resentful and not feel grateful? Perhaps not.

Because the more resentful we feel, the further we wander away from gratefulness and from our spiritual self. We don’t want to do that. Resentment is fine as long as we use it for our own advantage and get positive things out of it. We should not allow it to take us over. Because once it does take us over, we become bitter and we hate everything around us. We hate our self. We hate our loved ones. And we hate God. But how do we feel grateful when the going gets tough?

Many spiritual teachers say that by focusing on the good things in life and thanking the Universe for them can help us feel grateful. You just need to keep repeating these thank you statements to yourself. This may work for some. This may work some times. But what to do when it doesn’t work?

I don’t often consciously say thank you to God for all my blessings. But when I do think about the tough times I have had in the past and the miraculous strength and miraculous help that I received, I am just amazed. People I hadn’t met for years showing up to solve a problem. Almost lost my life and yet survived. Left with almost no money and no physical strength to do a job and yet from nowhere blessed with an opportunity to earn and have a career working from home. And I could go on and on here.

Just thinking about these miraculous occurrences is enough to bring tears in my eyes. And I actually cry. The only difference is that they are tears of joys. And gratefulness just surrounds me. I am grateful to God. And I just can’t stop thanking God for all that. And once I stop crying, I realize that I will be OK. Because God has always been there helping me out, saving me, protecting me, guiding me, and taking care of me.

What I am trying to say is that feeling grateful is not something that can be achieved by just saying a few statements to yourself. Feeling grateful is a feeling. Feel it. Thinking about the past helps me feel grateful. Perhaps there is something else that makes you feel grateful. It could be the smile on the face of your children. It could be the laughter of your life partner. It could be just the comfort of your house.

It could be anything. Just feel it. Feel grateful for it. Let the feeling surround you. And then thank God, thank the Universe for it. You will be amazed at how wonderful the feeling of being grateful is. You will be surprised at the strength and the calmness that descends over you once you have thanked God.

Read more articles







 


Copyright © Roohi Khan - 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment